- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pastry shell
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp sugar
- Boil the brown sugar and butter together until soft.
- Beat the egg yolk well and add it to the flour, then add the milk.
- Beat this until very smooth.
- Combine with the sugar mixture and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from fire and add salt and flavoring.
- Pour into a pastry-lined pan.
- Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes; reduce the heat to 350°F and bake 30 minutes.
- Cover pie with a meringue made by beating the white of the egg stiff and adding 1 tsp sugar.
- Return pie to oven to brown meringue.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.