Makes 8 servings
- pastry for single crust 9-inch pie
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup melted currant jelly
- 2 pint baskets fresh California strawberries, stemmed
- Press pastry into 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Prick all over with fork; bake in 425°F oven 10 to 12 minutes, just until pastry begins to brown.
- Remove to rack to cool.
- In mixer bowl beat eggs, sugar, lemon juice, peel and vanilla until thick and pale, about 10 minutes.
- Gently fold in one-third of the flour, then one-third of the butter.
- Continue folding in, alternating flour and butter until all has been incorporated (do not over mix)
- Brush bottom of tart shell with some of the jelly.
- Slice about ½ basket of the strawberries and arrange over jelly.
- Pour batter over strawberries (it will not quite cover).
- Bake in 375°F oven 20 to 25 minutes until golden and filling is set.
- Cool on rack.
- Arrange remaining whole strawberries, stem ends down, on top of tart.
- Brush with remaining melted jelly.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.