Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Preparation Time: 0:20
- Yield: One 9-inch pie (8 servings)
- Double crust 9 inch pastry
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup grenadine syrup
- 2 pk frozen cherries (16-oz), thawed or 2 lb fresh cherries; pitted + ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 tsp milk
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan; stir mixture to remove lumps.
- Stir grenadine syrup into sugar mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until smooth,stirring constantly.
- Add cherries; simmer until liquid is thickened and transparent (about 4 minutes), stirring gently once or twice.
- Add almond extract and butter,stirring until butter melts; cool.
- Roll out half of pastry to ⅛-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Place in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate; trim off excess pastry along edges.
- Pour cooled cherry mixture into pastry shell.
- Roll remaining pastry to ⅛-inch thickness; transfer to top of pie.
- Trim off excess pastry along edges.
- Fold edges under and flute.
- Cut slits in top crust for steam to escape.
- Brush top of pastry shell lightly with milk.
- Bake at 400°F degrees for 55 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pie before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.