Makes enough icing to cover the top of one 18 cm cake.
- ⅞ cup (100 g) icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 4 tsp water (approx)
- ½ tsp strained lemon or orange juice (optional)
- colouring (optional)
- Sift the icing sugar.
- Put 1 tbsp water into a small non-stick or enamel saucepan with the icing sugar.
- If a mild lemon or orange flavour is required add the juice at this stage.
- Warm very gently, without making the pan too hot to touch on the underside.
- Beat well with a wooden spoon.
- The icing should coat the back of the spoon thickly. If it is too thick, add the extra 5ml water; if too thin add a very little extra sifted icing sugar.
- Add colouring, if liked. Use at once.