- 1 pound butter, softened
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1½ cups light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4–5 cups chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the sugar, continuing to cream until all the sugar is used.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add all at once to the butter mixture, stirring well with a wooden spoon.
- Add chocolate chips, pecans and coconut and stir until mixed.
- Form dough into large balls and press down lightly on an ungreased non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes, being careful not to brown the edges.
- Remove from oven and place baking sheet on a wire rack; cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to rack; cool completely.
- Recommended technique: take half the cookie dough, put it in a ziplock bag and freeze it for a rainy day.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.