Fiber and nutrition are "partners" in these crunchy cookies.
- Cowboy Cookies from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: About 35 minutes
- Serves: 48
- 1 cup soft shortening or margarine
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups quick cooking oatmeal
- ½ cup coarsely chopped nuts or wheat germ
- 6 oz. chocolate chips
- 1 cup raisins
- Cream shortening, add sugars, and beat well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and stir to blend well.
- Add the dry ingredients at one time.
- Mix to blend thoroughly.
- Last, stir in oatmeal, nuts, chocolate chips, and raisins.
- Mix well.
- Drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet and bake for 13–15 minutes in 350°F oven.
- This dough freezes well and can be sliced later to make fresh cookies.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.