Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¾ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2½ cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- Stir boiling water into cocoa. Cool.
- In large mixing bowl cream butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk and chocolate mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Pour into well greased and floured 9 x 6 inch egg shaped pans (or 13 x 9 x 2 inch).
- Bake on lowest rack in 350°F oven for 60-65 minutes for egg-shaped pans, 40-45 minutes for oblong pans. Cool.
- Trim base so cake sits level; trim layers to fit together evenly.
- Frost, trim.
- Combine together.
- Blend until spreading consistency.