- 2 tablespoons anise seed
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 1¼ cups butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cloves
- Place the anise seeds in a small bowl with the rum.
- Let marinate overnight.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in the anise seed and rum.
- Mix in the egg.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and cloves; stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to ⅛ inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown at the edges.
- Cool for a few minutes on baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.